My dog, Posey, and I go to the Martensville Off-leash Dog Park almost every morning. It’s also a great place for bird watching, especially in the Spring. So far this Spring, I’ve seen the following species:
- Black-capped Chickadee (year-round residents)
- Black-billed Magpie (also year-round residents)
- Downy Woodpecker (also year-round residents)
- House Sparrow (occasional year-round visitors)
- House Finch (occasional year-round visitors)
- Raven (winter residents)
- Common Redpoll (winter residents)
- Gull species (overhead)
- Canada Goose (also overhead)
- American Crow
- Dark-eyed Junco
- Western Meadowlark
- American Robin
- Red-winged Blackbird (only the males so far)
- Bufflehead (a male and a female)
- Eared Grebe (has been on the pond for 3 days now)
- Common Grackle
- Owl species (we startled each other so I didn’t get a close enough look to identify it, and of course it was a day when I didn’t have my camera with me)
As well, I’ve seen Mourning Cloak butterflies.
Here are a few of my photos so far:
I put up a couple of feeders at the park, but unfortunately because of concerns with Avian Flu, I will be removing them tomorrow. It’s sad, but better to be safe than sorry. As soon as I hear it’s safe to do so, I’ll be putting them back up.
But Posey and I will continue to visit the park, for the fresh air, the exercise, and the birds.